Monday, February 3, 2014

Heartwarming dog rescue (another! involving firefighters!)

A grateful Mack thanks his
rescuer. Photo: Robert Kirkham,
Buffalo News
First of all, given the number of dog rescue stories I've heard lately, not the least being that accomplished by our fabulous group of Wellesley firefighters,  a cautious pup would do well to stay in bed. Take me, for example. Mom went on a cleaning binge this weekend and moved my chair. I simply staked out another, after first jumping on and rearranging all of the beds, Goldilocks style.

And now, news of another rescue brings these important reminders. One, never go out before daylight or after dark, or if the sun is shining on a prime sleeping spot. Two, if the temperature is less than 20 degrees, is there any reason to go out at all? I'm kind of like a camel, but in reverse, if you know what I mean.

Here's what happened: a conscientious dog owner is out at 4:30 a.m. walking her German Shepherd (I know, I'm usually averse to this breed, but trust me: it's a good story). She gets caught in a sinkhole and crawls out, and then the dog falls in. Ten feet down.

Here's the question: How brave do you have to be to lower yourself into a sinkhole? And how brave to you have to be to do so with a hundred pounds of terrified German Shepherd at the bottom of said hole?

Plenty, that's all I can say. To learn more about Buffalo, NY firefighter Michael Paveljack's rescue of three-year-old Mack, check out this news story. I'm heading back to bed.