Monday, August 12, 2013

Dog bites dog, I get a pain in the neck and a 45-day quarantine

Vampire bite? No, chocolate lab.
In other words, cave canem. You know, Latin for beware of dog. Here's what happened:

I was on my walk this morning, heading past Lilja School, when I met this chocolate lab at the playground. I said hi, he said hi.

But I guess he didn't really mean it, because he jumped me, put two paws around me and sank one pointy tooth, vampire style, into my neck.

If the dog had looked anything like this Pompeiian dude,
I wouldn't have given him the time of day. Really, he seemed fine.
Ouch. I howled, but then, being a low-key guy, I kept on going.

Except, about a half-hour later, when I was heading back home, Mom noticed the blood seeping onto the white part of my coat.

Off I went, pronto, to the vet, where the spot was shaved (yuk!), cleaned, and I was given a rabies booster. Even though my shots are up to date, the vet explained it's the law. I'm also on a 10-day course of antibiotics, and Mom had to pony up $130 for the visit and meds. I felt the pinch of the shot, she felt the wallet pinch. I guess that's fair. Still, it was one costly walk. And it hurts, too. But that's not the worst of it...

The last time I was accosted, I was able to identify my attacker and Dad determined that his rabies shots were up to date. However, I didn't know this dog. That means we don't know whether he's vaccinated or in the throes of a fatal disease.

I suspect not, but that doesn't matter. Because we don't know, Massachusetts requires that the dog who was bitten stay away from other animals and people other than family members. For 45 days! If we can find the dog and determine it's up to date with its shots, I'm quarantined for a mere 10 days, which would be torture enough.

So if you know a chocolate lab who seems nice but can be a bit testy while on leash, please let me know. It doesn't seem fair that I should have to stay in when I didn't do anything.

I don't want revenge, just freedom. Send the note addressed to me at dreamsdudog [at] yahoo.com. And thanks.