Friday, July 12, 2013

Boston strangler mystery solved: I sniff out the answers to unasked questions in notorious case



Here's what I'd do if an intruder came by.
Dad's book spares no details.
With the latest in the Boston Strangler case connecting Albert DeSalvo's DNA to the last murder victim, my dad hit the airwaves with his expertise.

So I asked him the question no one else dared to ask: What role did dogs play in that notorious case?

"Dogs played a very important role, because they were protectors of single women who feared for their lives," he said, while munching on his breakfast after returning from an early morning appearance on New England Cable News.

Aside to readers: Lest the sarcasm is not apparent, let me elucidate: Mr. Boston Strangler Expert is eating his breakfast at 8 a.m. with my walk long overdue. I made sure the neighbors heard about this.

So dogs played a crucial role? (All good reporters ask leading questions.)

"Absolutely," he said. "Newspapers at the time told of how animal shelters were swept clean of dogs who needed homes. Because there was no pattern to the murders except that victims were all women who lived alone, women felt dogs could help protect them."

There you have it, live from the source.
Signing off,
Tucker the news hound